summer course discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

June 3rd class (please post your reflections and questions under this topic)

+9
曹嘉璐
Tammy123
FengTing
Annie Zhang
鞠瑶Julia
方舒
Evelyn Lu
狄宜婷
Admin
13 posters

Go down

June 3rd class (please post your reflections and questions under this topic) Empty June 3rd class (please post your reflections and questions under this topic)

Post by Admin Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:43 pm

Dear All,

I have uploaded Friday's PPT and Monday's reading materials to Baidu Pan. Please remember to post your reflections and questions of Friday's class here.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

See you tomorrow.

Best,
Wendy

Admin
Admin

https://summercourse.longluntan.com

Back to top Go down

June 3rd class (please post your reflections and questions under this topic) Empty Re: June 3rd class (please post your reflections and questions under this topic)

Post by 狄宜婷 Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:18 pm

The class today mainly focused on the quantitative study, first of all, we got down to same experiments concerning second language acquisition, and I learned lots of variable research design, which gave me some insights on how to conduct the experimental research on second language acquisition. Then, thanks to Wendi who shared her experience on how she did her MA dissertation, I gained a lot from her sharing. And from her description, what impressed me a lot is how to find your creative point. Then we knew the process of the survey.
Q: How the piloting test goes? And can anyone share her or his experience of conducting a pilot test?

狄宜婷

Back to top Go down

June 3rd class (please post your reflections and questions under this topic) Empty Re: June 3rd class (please post your reflections and questions under this topic)

Post by Admin Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:29 pm

Hello everyone,

it's Wendy again. I just received Peter's email and he decided that we will read Duff (2012) and De Costa (2011) instead of Talmy (2015) and Kim & Duff (2012) for Monday's class. Those two articles (Duff and De Costa) should be more accessible. I will update the reading materials in Baidu Pan.

Remember to read Duff (2012) and De Costa (2011).

Best,
Wendy

Admin
Admin

https://summercourse.longluntan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Evelyn Lu Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:57 am

Today we first talked about the paper ‘Instructed Second Language Acquisition’ by Shawn Loewen and Jenefer Philp. We analyzed six boxes in the paper, from which we go through types of feedback like explicit ones implicit ones. Then Wendy showed us the PPT slices that she used to recruit participants for her survey study, which is of great help for us green hand. Then we talked about how to carry out survey studies in the context of SLA research. We discussed the questionnaire design in Zoltán Dörnyei and Kata Csizér’s paper (2012), from which I learned that to adopt different forms of items is necessary, and the use of similar items with slight change in expression is a good way to check whether participants’ answer is valid or not.
Question:
In a research, if the student found 30 participants for data collection, they go through the whole process, having all the participants read the material they prepared and recording that, but when they started analyzing the recording tape with software, they found out there were so much data they need to deal with, what should they do?

Evelyn Lu

Back to top Go down

Post by 方舒 Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:25 am

Reflections on 5th lecture
Friday’s lecture mainly discussed two articles, one is about research methods for investigating the nature and effectiveness of instruction on SLA and the ways in which different types of research has been carried out, including observational studies, non-interventionist quasi-experimental studies, and interventionist quasi-experimental studies, action research and practitioner research. Wendy also took her MA thesis as an example to illustrate the steps of conducting research. The other is about how to design and analyze surveys in second language acquisition research, concerning questionnaire design, sampling, piloting, data collection and processing, reporting,etc.
Question: Since observational studies provided insight into classroom activities so that other studies can build upon them, can it be served as the primary step of non-interventionist quasi-experimental studies and interventionist quasi-experimental studies?

方舒

Back to top Go down

Post by 鞠瑶Julia Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:21 am

Reflection:
From the article we studied in this class I had a brief understanding about how to do research, especially how to do non-interventionist quansi-experiment studies. When choosing a topic for the research, interest is the most basic element to consider, and the second one is feasibility, that is whether it is possible to be conducted or not. Communicative orientation of language teaching is relatively easy to use in the classroom. Corrective feedbacks are divided into two categories, namely explicit and implicit corrective feedback. Although researchers have been studying on this topic, sometimes teachers in real classrooms hardly notice that they are correcting their students in such different ways.

Question:
How to make sure that one’s research topic is feasible or not? If one carries the study half way but find it cannot go on, what should be done?

鞠瑶Julia

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie Zhang Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:43 am

Reflections:
Friday’s lectures mainly focused on two articles. We began with Instructed SLA. First we were divided into six groups and each group was responsible for one study box which provided actual application of different research methods. And then Peter helped us to better understand these experiments from the aspect of background, method, research question and so on. After that, Peter briefly told something about doing observational research. Then Wendy shared her research experiences with us, from which a clear framework of a thesis was presented. Lastly, Peter gave us some instructions about doing a questionnaire. Some issues related to a questionnaire and data collection and analysis were highlighted in the lecture. From this lecture, I really learned a lot, which would benefit to my M.A thesis.

Question:
If the data of the pilot study is not as expected, so should we do another pilot study or adjust our whole experiment? Thank you very much!

Annie Zhang

Back to top Go down

Post by FengTing Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:55 am

Reflections:
Today, we have read a new article named Instructed Second Language Acquisition in which we can learn how to conduct a research such as Observation Research, Non-Interventionist Quasi-Experimental Study and also Interventionist Quasi-Experimental Study. For each kind of research, we have analyzed some corresponding cases and been informed of what we should do in initiating a research, including introducing some backgrounds, raising research questions, selecting a research method and analyzing the research results. This lecture can be said to be an application of the theories we have learned before. I find it quite helpful. Besides, Wendy also has a small lecture today on how she has done her MA thesis, from selecting a topic to proposing research questions to designing the research to recruiting participants to analyzing data, which gives me a clear thought of doing research. Thanks to her and I really acquire a lot today~~
Question:
When conducting an empirical research, if the research results don't conform to your hypothesis, how can your make sure that it is due to the failure of experiment design or of data analysis?

FengTing

Back to top Go down

Post by Tammy123 Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:13 am

We had Windy share with us her research experience on input enhancement of articles in SLA. She explained to us clearly and logically. I should first know what I am interested in, and then what can be done in this focus, what the new point is about my study. After that, I should decide the research questions, design the treatment, choose the participant and the measurement methods. And the pilot study will be implemented and the statistics will be analyzed.
We also learned more about how to do a survey, especially the details on how to design a questionnaire.
A lot thanks to Windy and Peter!
Q: Wendy always can put her ideas in a very clear way when she do the presentation, could she say some words about how to do a good presentation?

Tammy123

Back to top Go down

Post by 曹嘉璐 Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:48 am

Dear Peter,

Today’s class clearly showed us how to design and analyze surveys in second language acquisition research. Now I know the general steps of designing a survey with valid and reliable data as well as how to report survey results. In addition, the vivid sample in Dörnyei and Csizér’s article enables me to vary my survey questionnaires. What’s more, I think Wendy’s case is helpful for me to narrow down the topic and find potential participants.

Best,
Lucy.

曹嘉璐

Back to top Go down

Post by Iris_Sunyuyan Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:48 pm

reflection for the 5th day:
Wendy shared her research experience with us last friday. While listening to her minilecture, something really came to my mind. It's all about those memories of my thesis writing in my undergraduate school for the bachelor degree. Though tough and boring sometimes, I really learned a lot and realized that doing research is quite a amazing process. When it comes to the contents, I have to say mixed way may be the most effective and useful way for doing a research. And there are quite a lot knowledge I need to aquire about the quantitative methods.

Iris_Sunyuyan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shen Yang Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:26 am

reflection on the 5th class:
in the class, I had a better understanding of research related to instructed second language acquisition through group work and class discussion, especially some important terms about teacher talk in the classroom, like recast, corrective feedback and so on. In the second session, thanks to Wendy's sharing with us about her experience in doing research step by step, I learned a lot about how to conduct a quantitive study. I really benefited a lot from today's class.
My question is, corrective feedback is part of the teacher talk in class, I want to know what part of teacher talk in classroom can also be a focus of instructed second language acquisition?

Shen Yang

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrea Nian Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:43 am

Hey, Peter!
In today's class, it is so instructive to learn some researches and their methodlogies related to second language acquisition. Also, my research field is just about second language acquisition, so it is very helpful to me. As usual, we were divided into several groups, and each group dealt with one study box.
It is a very good way to let all of us involve in this lecture.
What' more, I want to thank Wendy for delivering a small presentation for us, about her research on her MA dissertation. I also learned a lot from it. For expample, when you find you final research results cannot conform to your hypothsis, this does not mean that your research is meaningless, on the contrary, it's new finding and what you should do is to adopt it in you artile.

Andrea Nian

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy鲍 Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:28 am

In today’s class, we have learned something about the detailed steps in writing the introduction, literature review and result. The professor asked us to read some thesis and then analyze the detailed steps in writing the introduction and literature review. When we write a thesis, we should pay attention to the logic and try our best to enable our readers to follow us. The critical analysis of the previous studies is very important in the literature review. However, different people have different styles in writing thesis, so the referential steps do not really fit all thesis. It is Ok to omit some steps in the textbook.
Question: When writing literature review, from what sides should we analyze the previous studi

Amy鲍

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down